"I'm Going to Carpe the Hell out of this Diem!"-Someone Really Smart

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Give me an airplane..

I walked into my room, and a note was sitting on the edge of my bed. The note had been typed, and my name lined the front with red pen. Not knowing who it was from, I slowly opened the freshly printed page as if the words would somehow change depending on the speed I read it. The first line "What's up ninja!?" was typed neatly underneath my name. I now knew that my older sister had written the note. It was the day she left for college. She was moving 15 minutes away, and to me.. that was a lifetime. We had recently become the best of friends, getting over the "get away from my friends, I will kill you if you tell that story" stage. I read the note without crying every crossing my mind. By the end I could taste the tears on my lips. My older sister, the one I go to for EVERYTHING was leaving me. And to me, a 13 year old girl, that was the worst thing that could ever happen to me. I didn't have my older sister down the hall from me whenever I needed her. She has always been the strongest most amazing person that I know. She has gone through more than I have ever come close to, and she has overcome it with class.

I now, sit here, 17 years old unfolding the old, over-read worn out piece of paper from a sister who now lives hundreds of miles away from me, married, and living the life she used to dream of. If only "figuring out a day that we can all get together once a week" was as easy as it was 4 years ago. She told me I would go somewhere with softball, as long as I played with class, respect, and humility.She said "Win with class.. because the next game you could lose. Treat everyone on your team and on the opposite team with respect. It is just a game, and as long as you are trying your hardest you will go far in everything you choose"I am now, 4 years later, looking forward to playing at BYU-Hawaii, thanks to a sister who saw the right way to get to my the dreams. She passed the torch to me, to take care of the family, and be the older sister.. which, I will admit I haven't filled her shoes with the poise and class she hoped for, but I've tried. And I know she is proud of me.

I am thankful for a sister who isn't afraid to post scriptures that inspire her on facebook, and one who will spend her nights with her little sister, instead of going out and hanging with her friends. I'm thankful for the texts, calls, and facebook messages, asking about my day, my life, and telling me how proud she is of me. I always lived my life according to what she did. She is my older sister, she used to always tell me not to make the mistakes she did. I tried so hard to learn from her mistakes, and be the person she wants me to be. And now.. I'm still chasing after the kind of person she is. And if, when I'm her age, I am half the person, friend, and sister she is, I will be one lucky girl.

I am thankful for everything that she has done for me over the years, and I don't think she gets enough credit. I don't think I've ever really told her how much I love her, and how much I respect her. So Angie, I hope you know how much I love you. I hope you know that you have been the best sister I could ever wish for. Thank you for being my rock, when I had no one else. Thank you for always being on my side, and telling me when I was wrong in a situation. Thank you for telling me how proud of me you are, and for showing up at every game, when you surely had better things to do. Thank you for dancing in the kitchen, sneezing like a baby, having road rage, punching me with your rings, smacking my butt, rocking out to Pink with me, and taking spoon me runs on a rough night. Thank you for always loving me more than your friends (even though you tried hard to deny it). Thank you for inspiring me to do bigger and better things in my life, and teaching me to handle obstacles with class. I miss you more than you will ever know, and I can't wait until my sister is only 15 minutes away from me again. Thank you for knowing exactly what to say, and for loving me through all the things I have put you through over the years. I love you sister. You are who I hope to become. Give me an airplane. I miss my sister.

1 comment:

  1. Oh little sister how you have surpassed me in class and poise, and WRITING! I told you to stop making me cry! I miss you very much and yes you are right, I am VERY proud of you! I love you Kayla! Do good things!

    ReplyDelete