"I'm Going to Carpe the Hell out of this Diem!"-Someone Really Smart

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Leather, aluminum, and a whole lotta dirt.

Who knew you could fall in love with a sport. Softball has always been the one thing that has gotten me through everything. Bad day? Go out and throw. Rough test? Go hit. The stuff between the white lines helps the stuff between my ears go away. I can't figure out the answers to my math test but I can figure out if a girl is going to slap, or if she's going to bunt. Others get high off substances. The smell of the dirt after the sprinklers go on, and the smell of my glove when it comes out of my batbag. The feeling I get when I lace up my cleats, not knowing the outcome of the next 7 innings. The feeling I get when the only thing that stands between me and that base, is the bat in my hands. and the pitch coming toward me. I love the feeling I get when my cleat hits the edge of the base, and I can't hear anything but the wind through my helmet and the blood coursing through my veins. The sound of my parents screaming my name, and the feelings I get when the team comes together for a common goal. That's my high.

Failing and making mistakes. That's the name of the game. You fall 9 times, get back up 10. I have learned respect, and pride, and humility which has helped me both on and off the dirt. Softball as not just been a game for me, It has taught myself how to build relationships with people, it's taught me how to work for something that I don't believe I can do. It has pushed me to push myself to limits that my mind tells me I cannot reach. I have learned to respect my opponents and those who make the calls that I cannot control.

I am thankful for my coaches and my teammates who have made me laugh, pushed me to be better, and trusted in me when I haven't trusted in myself. Thank you to my family who has spent hours and hours driving and sitting, and yelling, and cheering. Thank you to my opponents for teaching me what kind of athlete I can be. Thank you to the umpires who have tested my patience. Thank you to softball.. for being there when no one else was, for testing me, for making me who I am. For creating the friendships that will last a lifetime and memories which will help define me forever. Without you, I could not stand here as the person I am today. I am so grateful for the time and money my family and my teammates have invested in me. Without you, I would be nothing. Softball. It's my life.

3 comments:

  1. I love softball too...but I think I'm better at being the entertainer in the stands. Ha ha...and almost getting kicked out of games with Angie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh... are you remembering St. George? Well I guess we got kicked out of a lot... but that one was the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes...the St. George one. No I was actually thinking of the one at Windsor park because stupid girl was too busy texting and not keeping track of the score. Ha ha good times.

    ReplyDelete