"I'm Going to Carpe the Hell out of this Diem!"-Someone Really Smart

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Don't tell my mom...but I swam with sharks.

Playing a college sport takes up most of your time. Therefore, last year we didn't get he opportunity to do a lot of the island things. This year, we got here early, and decided to try to do a few of the things we've been wanting them to do. One of the things we have been waiting to do is chinaman's hat. That would be this.

It's basically a mountain that you can swim/walk out to when the tide is low. It takes about 20-30 minutes to get to. The first time we went, we went with my cousin and it was a super nice day, no waves, the tide was low so most of the time we could walk. We only got a few cuts and bruises from the reef dropping off in random areas. We climed the mountain, with little trouble (even though i was dying because I haven't exercised since shoulder surgery), but once we got to the top it was the most amazing thing. We watched the clouds move, and we truly got the sense for how lucky we are to live in such a beautiful place. On top of the mountain I felt so small, and I felt so lucky for the opportunity I have to be in Hawaii.

We started like this...



A few days later, me and tiffanee feeling adventurous decided to go again. It had been raining, but had cleared up. Wewere kind of hesitant but of course stupid us we decided to go. It took us forever to get out because the waves were pretty bad, and the tide was high so we had to swim with our boogie boards. Once on the island, it was muddy and slippery. Yet, after a lot of hesitation, hard work, sweat, and yelling, we got to the top. We spent lots of time up there waving to the people below, and crying to the thought of having to climb back down. Needless to say, a muddy steep mountain, rain, and shoes with no traction...I almost fell off a cliff.. but I caught myself, with my newly repaired shoulder. It was either fall off a cliff, or catch myself with my weak, nonexistant shoulder,i got a hurt arm and got a few scrapes...and a very angry kayla later, I got to the bottom.
At this point, it had started to look like it would start storming again... the waves were worse, and every time we tried to swim it felt like we were moving backwards.
It resulted in this

Don't let tiffanee's smile fool you.. we were not happy campers. We decided not to ever be spontaneous again. We also found out later that there was a shark alert and we could have been eaten alive. But don't worry mom... I only broke my shoulder in the process.

oh college students... we are so smart.

1 comment: