"I'm Going to Carpe the Hell out of this Diem!"-Someone Really Smart

Friday, September 14, 2012

I'm Kayla, and I'm in 14th grade

College is a struggle...

Okay, it's not that bad, but sometimes I wonder if it's even worth it.

I like to sit in class and dream about what I would do if I wasn't in class. Probably save the world by jumping off buildings, not caring what angle and speed the wind is going or the location of the sun. Or maybe I would try my luck at sitting on a corner with a cardboard sign getting stared at and getting change and big macs thrown at me in pity.

I have decided that college is a lot easier when you study something that you actually enjoy. Social work is something that I didn't even know existed, but through taking classes, and my patriarchal blessing I know it's something that I'm supposed to do.

I've always been the person who stresses myself out, and doesn't let anything out. Well, in social worker I have learned that that is not okay. I am forced to talk about what I am feeling, and I have to be open about everything. Because how can I expect a client to if I don't? The best way to help yourself is help others...that's what I've learned so far, in the short week at school. Help yourself, spend your time thinking about others, don't judge them, and believe in them, because it takes faith and trust to tell someone what you're going through. Being involved in a career that's all about helping people is something that I will always be thankful for, because it has made me better. If you're in college, do something you love!

On top of college, we have softball. Softball at 5:30 in the morning, 9:00 at night, study hall for 2 hours, practice, weights... so much and it makes my head spin haha. It's amazing, we have new coaches, new players, and new beginnings for us all, and I am on the bench waiting for my shoulder to be healed. It's pretty hard watching everyone playing the game you love while you physically cannot be on the field.

If I have learned anything in college it's that I need to trust in the Lord with everything I have. Trials come because we need to be better. Challenges come because he knows we can handle them. And Everything has a reason and purpose. I believe that the Lord knows the end, while I can only see the right now. I have to trust in him to guide me through this year, even if I feel like I can't get through it right now. I am so thankful for the amazing friends I have and the roommates I have and the people who have become my family out here on this tiny island. Without them, I would probably die! April 2014...come faster!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment